Monday, December 3, 2012

Winter Beer Month: Day 2

December 2: I found myself at the Ale House in Tacoma for an afternoon of beer and conversation.  With 64 beers on tap, I knew that I wouldn't have a problem finding a few winter ales to satisfy my challenge.

Widmer Brrr Winter Ale
One of the first professional big time brewers I met was Kurt Widmer.  True, I might have conned him into a picture, but the fact remains that Widmer Brother's Brewing out of Portland, Oregon holds a special place in my heart.  It was there where my dad experienced his very first brewery tour, compliments of his beer loving daughter, of course.  Their winter ale has a mild ABV, 6.4%, with no alcohol burn in sight.  Rich with caramel, Brrr's sweet nectar reminded me what I love about Northwest winters.

Full Sail Wreck the Halls
Numerous beerventures have led me to Hood River.  Although I don't always end up at Full Sail, I tend to look for their Brewmaster's Reserve line whenever I'm out buying beer, which is more often than not.  This particular ale filled my pint glass with a sweet cloudy syrup.  It was dark and smooth with roasted notes and bitter sweetness.  At 6.5% ABV, Full Sail delivers a strong, yet drinkable, winter warmer.  

www.alehousepub.com                    widmerbrothers.com                    www.fullsailbrewing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment