Wednesday, July 24, 2013

SBM Days 13-17

Wow, where has the month gone?  As I sit here at the airport, all sprawled out on the floor like a hipster hobo (complete with power cords), I finally find the time to catch up and share some of my summer beer adventures.

Narrows Brewing Company
narrowsbrewing.com
On their opening weekend, I had the pleasure of tasting Tacoma's newest brewery's beers.  Three in the lineup with fermenters full of more, I grew quite fond of their IPA.  At 8%, this hop bomb was everything right, especially when tooling around the pristine brewery with Joe, the head brewer.  A recent transplant to the Northwest, Joe led THE most informative brewery tour I have EVER been on.  And you all know that I have been on a number.  Great location and solid beers makes this a go to destination for South Sound beer lovers.


Golden Road's Point the Way IPA
goldenroad.la/
A summer sunset with an Los Angeles based craft beer in my hand was nothing short of delish.  While I have slightly swayed from my summer beer oath, I have found that this hophead likes IPAs any day of the year.  Especially IPAs that are rare to these parts.  At only 5.9%, this borderline session ale was nice and smooth with a generous amount of Cascade hop love.   Pour.  Drink.  Repeat.
Cans, Cans, and More Cans!
Broken Spoke in Tacoma, WA
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Broken-Spoke-Tacoma/346634752095475
If there is one thing I love more than beer, it is teaching.  When I can combine the two, I might as well be in heaven.  Introducing locals to all the great beer in our town never gets old.  Make that a canned beer enthusiast that has yet to discover all that is Broken Spoke, well it doesn't get any better than that.  With forty or fifty some canned beers available, this Tacoma custom bike shop/beer bar is anything but ordinary.  My advice?  Try a couple different ones each time you go.  Bring a friend and try theirs too.


Northwest Brewing/Three Skulls Blood Orange Wit
nwbrewingcompany.com
More often than not, I find myself spending workweek afternoons in the sunshine of this Pacific, WA brewery.  Now that they are producing Three Skulls Ales, I was anxious to try their Blood Orange Wit.  While not a huge Wit fan, the flavor profile of blood oranges always seems to catch my palate's attention.  This easy drinking summer refresher was easily enjoyed among friends.  I would love to try this on draft to see how this tasty bottle compares.


Green Flash Brewing's Citra Session
www.greenflashbrew.com
There are so many things that are SO right about this beer.  First off, it is from Green Flash.  My beerventure down to SD a few months back led me to being in serious beer love with that brewery.   Secondly, the Citra.  This hop creates an insatiable yearning for more.  Much like that famous Depeche Mode song, I just can't get enough.  The fact that I enjoyed it at my favorite bar while receiving a home brewng medal was only icing on the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment