Thursday, March 19, 2015

Brewing Up Baby: A beer lover's guide to pregnancy

My 2015 came in with a bang.  Not only did my husband and I pull off a surprise wedding for all of our friends, we also found out that we were expecting a future homebrewer of our own.

Over the past few months, my happy hours have been replaced with afternoon walks and my nightly brewski is now a flavorful cup of tea.  While the adjustment has been...well...an adjustment, I have also noticed friends are a bit unsure of how to act.  Here are three steps on how you can support your favorite beer lover while they aren't able to imbibe.

1.  Include them.
Even though I can't drink, I still love to be a part of the beer scene.  Don't assume that you can't still offer up an invite for a brewer's dinner or tap takeover with your pregnant friend.  Keeping up on the new trends and styles is what every beer geek is about.  Just remember that they might not close the joint down like they used to.  I've found that my nose has become so fine tuned that I can smell off flavors a mile away.  Invite, geek out, and have fun!

2.  Find new hobbies to enjoy.
The reason why you enjoy your beer lover is because they are well versed in all things beer.  But don't forget, they also can probably school you at pool, get you by some strokes in golf, and maybe even be the best teammate for pub trivia.  While all these activities should include beer, it sure doesn't mean that they have to.  Saddle me up with an NA macro or pint of root beer and I'm a happy gal.

3.  Make plans for a post birth beer celebration.
Come August, I will be primed and ready to enjoy some beers after this span of dry months.  With an eye on beer travel and festivals, I can't wait to get back in the game.  Support your bumped buddy with some plans to look forward to.  Not only does it keep their spirits up, it also reminds them that there still will be a beer life after baby.

Don't worry friends, while my palete is resting and I'm growing a human, I am still the same beer loving girl that you love.  Hang in there, I'll be back before you know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment