Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Brewery Spotlight: Geaux Brewing

After successfully coordinating the schedules of a traveling beer blogger and a super busy brewer, I was finally able to spend a summer afternoon up at Geaux Brewing in Bellevue, WA.  Conveniently located near two Eastside highways, Geaux's facility is a half barrel brewhouse that focuses on small batch brews.  Formed by a group of home brewers, the mission of Geaux is to not only make high quality beer, but to also spread the love of home brewing to everyone.  As you know, I kinda like to brew too.  So, I was obviously intrigued with how the crew was going to make this happen.  Sitting down with my first sample of their Lakeshore Golden Lager, I chatted with Jeremy, Geaux's founder, about what this up and coming brewery was really all about. 
Jeremy's "real" job is right next door to the brewery.  After seeing how much he was spending on his employees each week for Beer Friday, he entertained the idea of actually making beer for the week end celebration.  Voila...Geaux Brewing was born.  Themed after a New Orleans street corner, Jeremy showcases his love of back home to the Pacific Northwest.  Each authentic piece of Louisiana that he has brought in to decorate has its own story.  From the salvaged shutters to the swamp wood bar, I couldn't stop looking around in amazement.  I mentioned that Jeremy and his crew wanted to help spread the love of home brewing, right?  Small group brewing classes are in the works so that regular Joes like you and me could come in and learn to brew.
Let's get back to the beer tasting.  While I was impressed with all of their beers, my favorite, by far, was their Ragin' Cajun Imperial IPA.  Apparently I wasn't alone in thinking that since they have a hard time keeping it on tap.  This IIPA was hoppy and malty without a trace of alcohol burn, even though it weighed in at a hefty 9% ABV.  Their Gulf Coast IPA, a sessionable ale, had ample hops and wasn't just a watered down version of this popular style.  The Poydras Porter was also quite quaffable, providing a roasty but light flavor.  Great beers along with an urban beer garden right out front surrounded by hop bines, it wasn't a matter of if I will come back, but rather a matter of when.

No comments:

Post a Comment