Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Angry Orchard: Juice for Grown Ups

It is often said that one should never go grocery shopping when hungry.  The same is true about one's thirst for beer.  When an early afternoon grocery shopping trip led me straight to the beer aisle, a case of Angry Orchard inevitably ended up in my cart, alongside necessities such as Eggos and Pizza Rolls.  The need to research all of Angry Orchard's offerings soon became the task for the day.
Crisp Apple:  This was the closest cider that tasted like apple juice.  Sweet.  Delicious.  Since you can find this on tap just about anywhere, I usually order it with my late breakfast/early weekend lunch.  Just like the pint, this bottle disappeared soon after opening.
Traditional Dry:  Closest to beer in smell, Traditional Dry had a distinctive taste.  At first I was a bit taken back, since I was expecting something a little more appley.  While this one wasn't my favorite, I could see my domestic beer loving dad enjoying it without even knowing that it was cider.
Elderflower:  Alright, confession time.  The mention of the Elderflower cider actually is what prompted me to get the variety pack.  Well, that and the fact that I didn't have any ciders at home.  With four stocked beer fridges I needed some cider representation, right?  This one had a floral sweetness, almost like a cross between tea and wine.  A neat gateway cider for wine lovers.
Apple Ginger:  My new favorite beer addition flavor is ginger.  I am loving Ginger IPAs, Ginger Pales, really Ginger anything.  This Apple Ginger cider was spot on.  As it came to room temperature, the ginger married well with the sweet apple.  It was difficult not to enjoy every single one of those bottles.
Special Note:  Check out the Angry Orchard Cocktail recipes.  Using their cider and mixing it with the likes of beer, juice, and even liquor, the possibilities for enjoying were endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment