Tuesday, June 18, 2013

WABF: A Father's Day Tradition

                                                                                                 This time of year we are reminded of traditions.  Whether it is a graduation ceremony, an annual family trip, or even that favorite BBQ the first weekend of summer, everyone cherishes and looks forward to traditions.  A few years back, I started a new Father's Day tradition with my dad.  In lieu of me making the trip south, he would pick me up and we would make the trek out to the Washington Brewers Festival at Marymoor Park (http://www.washingtonbeer.com/wa-brewers-fest/).  Besides being an excuse to drink beer and hang out with me all day, my dad looks forward to testing his palette with new to him beer styles.  Of course, he has me to thank for that well seasoned palette that no longer can stand the taste of that yellow fizzy stuff.  I make a point of hitting the fest a day early to do my civic duty and volunteer.  Immediately following, I do my daughterly duty and check out the beers that are must haves for Dad.  These were our favorites after an afternoon of tasting.
Reuben's Brews American Rye  (reubensbrews.com)
Lighter in color than I expected, this Rye Ale was nice and citrusy.  Dad loved how easy drinking this 5.2% beer was.  In fact, I think he might have snuck another token taste when I wasn't looking!
Skookum Brewery's Breakfast of Crows (www.skookumbrewing.com)
This Oatmeal Stout was aged on Bourbon chips and let's just say that all 7.5% ABV was delish.  While Dad was super intrigued with the logo (he is a wood carving artist by hobby), he was also captivated by the smoothness of the beer.  The Bourbon back on this creamy stout had me at hello.         
Seapine Brewing Company's La Fantasma (seapinebrewing.com)
Described as an extra hopped Blonde, this Seapine ale automatically sold me on their brewery.  While chatting with Dad, I looked up their location and already scouted out my first visit.  With an IPA and two other Pales in their repertoire, you can bet that this might become one of my favorite places.
Kulshan Brewing Company's Bastard Kat IPA (www.kulshanbrewery.com)
A new brewery in Bellingham, WA that won a medal for it's IPA, I knew I had to try it.  Dad, following my lead, really enjoyed this 70 IBU hoppy number.  Watching with pride as he finished the sample before I did, I caught a glimpse of a Bellingham Beer Week poster.  Guess where I will be in late September?
Two Beers Brewing Company's Simple Shandy (www.twobeersbrewery.com)
A recent research of the Shandy for a soon to be published EC Kraus article (blog.eckraus.com) led me directly to Two Beers.  Traditionally a lager and citrus soda mix, their Shandy was made of an American Wheat and homemade lemonade.  The result was a thirst quenching light beer mix that would appease everyone on a hot summer day.                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment