Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Pedaling For Pints: Cycle Saloon Seattle

Convincing a dozen or so of my friends to meet me in Seattle and hop on a huge bike to pedal around Ballard from brewery to brewery was hardly a task in itself.  In fact, what better way was there to spend a sunny near summer afternoon in the Emerald City?  Once we figured out exactly where we needed to be, we saddled up right across the street from George and the Dragon Pub.  Red Solo cups and beer cans quickly filled the drink holders.  See, if you read the fine print, you can actually drink and pedal.  The key?  Obtain a Washington State Banquet Liquor License for a mere $10 fee.  With beverages in hand, we began our trek to the first brewery.


Populuxe Brewing
www.populuxebrewing.com
As we pulled up to our first stop a bit winded (though I have to admit I did score one of those non-pedaling seats), we piled in to taste what Populuxe was brewing.  CDAs and IPAs with a few Porters mixed in made their way into our hands while we went outside for a spot in the sunshine.  The aromas coming from the El Sabroso (www.elsabrosodeseattle.com) filled the air while teams of four tossed around some bags in a game of Cornhole.  One pint down the hatch and we were back on the bike.  Turns out, when you are first one on the bike, you can score one of those elusive seats without pedals.  Lucky me.  Off we went to the next establishment.

Peddler Brewing Co.
www.peddlerbrewing.com
An aptly named place to stop while being a peddler on the Cycle Saloon, we arrived to see a packed bar.  After what seemed to be quite a bit of time in this popular watering hole, we scored some beers of the Tangerine Wheat and IPA variety.  Good thing the garage doors were up so that we could enjoy that fresh afternoon breeze.  With beers waiting for us on the bike, we finished up quickly to go explore some more.


NW Peaks Brewery
www.nwpeaksbrewery.com
A last minute suggestion from a bossy beer rider (me, of course) landed us at this quaint neighborhood nano.  Samplers for all were enjoyed while basking at a sunshine laden picnic table.  My favorite was the Ingalls Ginger.  Refreshing and light, this 4.75% pale quenched my thirst after that last pedal.  Turns out, when people hear you yell "Mush!" and can't remember you ever pedaling, they get a bit testy.  So, I did my peddling part which obviously made me a bit thirsty for beer.  Checking to make sure we had time for one more stop, I once again convinced the driver to head to an unplanned location.


Maritime Pacific Brewing Company
maritimebrewery.com
I have a love hate relationship with Maritime Pacific.  I absolutely love their brews: from a vintage Jolly Roger to a crisp cold Imperial Pale,  Don't let me forget to mention their famous beer battered bacon.  That being said, the hate part of this bipolar union is when I have to leave.  Or is it that I hate that I can't remember leaving?  Either way, I was excited to share this place with my peeps.  Yes, I just said peeps.  Don't judge.  Somehow, a pitcher of Jolly Roger made its way to the outdoor urban beer garden.  While others opted for samplers, and some even made them to the table, the consensus was clear.  Beer from here was delish.

Cycle Saloon Seattle: where beer lovers and bike enthusiasts alike can imbibe, ride, and explore.  Oh, and don't fret.  Single seats are available for reservations too.  Check them out online at www.thecyclesaloon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment