Tuesday, January 14, 2014

WHL #2: Seattle Thunderbirds "Spilled Sportsmanship"

My home team:  The Seattle Thunderbirds.  While I have been to about a dozen of these home games over the years, I hadn't been to one when on this official WHL pilgrimage.  So, yet another Friday night was planned to meet up and enjoy some hockey.

Fans:  I've got to be honest.  The Thunderbird fans completely disappointed us.  Not only did they interrupt the National Anthem by shouting "Portland Sucks," they proceeded to shout that phrase at any and every opportunity during each period.  Yes, I understand rivalry.  Totally get it.  I even participate it in from time to time.  However, it seemed just a tad bit excessive to interrupt the group of nervous middle schoolers singing the hardest song ever prior to the puck drop.

Arena:  I totally love the ShoWare Center in Kent, Washington.  Ample concessions, clean concourse, decent gift shop, and plenty of room to move around.  The regular stadium offerings were present with some alternatives to please any picky eater.  I watched them hand carve my turkey for an epic sandwich full of meat and fresh veggies.

Beer:  Being the first of our hockey games to enjoy some suds, I opted for some Canadian beer, of course.  Was it Kokanee or Molson or Labatt?  I can't remember.  What I do recall is enjoying one, spilling the next, and carefully holding my third.

No comments:

Post a Comment