Saturday, October 20, 2012

Hoptoberfest at Beveridge Place Pub



Each October, Beveridge Place Pub in West Seattle, dedicates 20 taps to IPAs from Washington State.  In a quest to identify BPP's house IPA for the year, beer drinkers are able to nominate any IPA from the state for it to be in contention.

I found myself at BPP Wednesday night to blind taste these hoppy treasures.  After studying the ballot, I was quite impressed with so many of my favorites in the running.  After grabbing a few willing friends with a common thirst for hops, we embarked on our blind tasting.  In a blind tasting, all of one's preconceived notations go right out the window.  One is forced to critique and judge each beer against the next. That night, I was preferring the crisp citrusy IPAs that had a more mild malt background.  My top three choices on our tasting tray were 1, 4, and 8.

1.  Georgetown Brewing: Lucille IPA
This IPA showcases Amarillo, Simcoe, and the "C" hops (Columbus, Centennial, and Cascade).  The hops in this IPA take center stage with their floral and citrusy flavors against the mild pale malt base.  I couldn't get enough of this taster.  In fact, I think I made sure to finish it off myself.

4.  American Brewing Company: Breakaway IPA
A completely unbiased choice, I was drawn to this taster.  It is true, I have helped brew this IPA with the boys at ABC.  But I promise you, that didn't factor into my choice.  What I enjoy about American's beers are their overall balance with hops and malt.  It is not a surprise that this easy drinking IPA became one of my choices for the top three.

8.  Boundary Bay IPA
Once upon a time, almost a decade and a half ago, I found myself exploring the world of craft beer when Redhook ESB reigned king.  I quickly acquired an affinity for hoppy "expensive" beers, compared to the yellow fizzy filled cans my cash strapped college friends drank.  BB's IPA has been one of my faves since then.  Rounding out my top three choices, this IPA in particular symbolizes my love for Washington brews.

While I chose these as my top three, there wasn't an IPA in the Elite Eight that I didn't like.  If you can't get to Beveridge Place before next Wednesday, be sure to get in there from Oct. 25 through Nov. 4 in order to taste and vote on your choice from their top three.  With many election decisions ahead of us, make sure that you do your part as a craft beer loving American!

No comments:

Post a Comment