Thursday, February 7, 2013

Malt Ball 2013: A Rocking Good Time


What do you get when you put 26 breweries and a dozen bands into a trendy Portlandia event space?  Malt Ball 2013.  This second annual union of local bands, courtesy of the Portland Mercury, along with participating breweries, through the Oregon Brewers Guild, made for yet another epic volunteer opportunity.  Last year, I accidentally stumbled upon Malt Ball 2012.  Rocking out to music and talking about beer hardly seemed like a chore at all.  Not to be out done, this year's Ball at the Wonder Ballroom didn't disappoint.  With more beer, more bands, more space, and way more people, this event was split into two sessions.  So popular, the evening session was sold out before the taps were even hooked up.
By the time it was my turn to test out some brews, I headed straight for Solera Brewery's Hank is Dank IPA.  I stood next to this tap for five hours during my shift, listening to lucky imbibers rave about it.  As expected, I was thoroughly impressed with the thick hop tea that filled my mug.  Another notable taster came from Migration Brewing.  Their Black Hearted Ale, a Cascadian Dark Ale, was the perfect blend of roast and hops.  
Haven't been to a Malt Ball yet?  Don't let next year's pass you by.  Undoubtedly, the best beerfest you'll find in PDX.

No comments:

Post a Comment