Sunday, October 26, 2014

My First Look: Heritage Distilling Company

A well timed invitation from a coworker found me out at Heritage Distilling Company in Gig Harbor yesterday afternoon.  Anxious to try his Cask Club creation, I was surprised at how well established this quaint distillery had become in just two short years.  With a bar full of bottled spirits to try, I set my eyes on their Bourbon first. 

About once a month, I tend to enjoy an Old Fashioned cocktail.  Now, the ones I make are a bit off of a traditional recipe.  I use a packet of Splenda instead of a sugar cube.  (Don't knock it until you've tried it.)  In lieu of an orange slice and splash of bitters, I generously douse handcrafted orange bitters from Scrappy's Bitters over ice.  After trying both of the Bourbons HDC had to offer, I chose the Elk Rider; a strong, yet smoothly balanced whiskey that would compliment my unique blend of bitter and sweet. 

Next up: flavored vodka.  With 23 flavors and three holiday ones in the works, HDC was not short on variety.  From Hibiscus to Cherry Lime to Sweet Ghost Pepper, it was difficult to choose which ones I wanted to try.  Tasting the Blood Orange, Coffee, and Coconut, I wanted a bottle of each.  As I looked down the line, a flavor I didn't see was Ginger.  If you know me, you know that I love anything ginger: ale, bread, cookies, chicken, etc.  I can't recall if I either asked about a ginger flavored vodka, or they could feel my yearning, because soon enough, a new bottle was brought out for tasting.  Winner.  I couldn't wait to get that home, pour over ice with a squeeze of lime, and imbibe. 

Don't make the same mistake I did and wait two years to visit Heritage Distilling Company.  Come next weekend to celebrate their second anniversary and keep an eye out for their new locations in Roslyn, WA and Eugene, OR.

No comments:

Post a Comment