Thursday, October 10, 2013

Top Pumpkin Picks

The Great Pumpkin Beer Festival, GPBF to those in the know, was this past weekend at the Elysian Brewing production facility.  Boasting 40 some beers over the course of three days, along with gourds upon gourds for the carving, this ninth annual event signified the kick off of harvest beer season.  Being my fourth beer event in that many days, I mustered up enough energy, and a few willing beerfriends, to spend the unseasonably warm afternoon together.  Here are my faves from the fest.

Alaskan Brewing: Pumpkin Porter
While I went for this one initially because it was so close to my coveted seat in the sun, I went back for a second sample because it was THAT good.  Smooth and rich, the smoky notes of the Porter melded well with the pumpkin spice.

Fremont Brewing: Pumpkin B-Bomb
Thanks to a certain someone that has gotten me into barrel aged beers, I was excited to see what Fremont did with their Abominable Winter Ale in a Heaven Hill barrel.  The result was a 9.5% ABV sipper that would pair well with stormy nights by a fire.

North Peak Brewing: Hooligan
It is obviously expected that a hophead, such as myself, might gravitate towards an IPA, even at an exclusively all pumpkin beer fest.  So, that is what I did.  Other imbibers didn't necessarily enjoy this one, as it didn't have that sweet savory taste other pumpkin beers had.  I, however, loved it.  Chocked full of hops from Michigan, this IPA was just what I needed.

Elysian Brewing: Punkuccino Coffee Pumpkin Ale
Arriving right when the fest opened at noon after a drive from Eastern Washington, this beer lover was needing some coffee.  Without hesitation, my first taste at GPBF was this coffee/pumpkin combo.  Pumpkin added all throughout the brewing process, along with my favorite Stumptown Coffee, made this one my favorite of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment