Saturday, April 20, 2013

Beers of Paradise

A week long family vacation in Maui this Spring "forced" me to conduct some much needed research of the beers available in this island paradise.  With my dad beyond willing to go along for the ride, we tested out the taps around town to thoroughly soak in all that was Hawaii beer.

Big Island Brew: Kona Brewing Company
(konabrewingco.com)
I visited this brewery on the Big Island almost ten years ago.  While my taste in beer has greatly matured since then, I was anxious to see what I thought of this brewery now.  Island brewing since 1994, Kona also currently brews in three different locations on the mainland as a member of the Craft Brewing Alliance.  
Fire Rock Pale Ale:  Introduced along with Big Wave Golden Ale as one of their first brews over 18 years ago, this Pale was spot on with color and crispness.  
Longboard Island Lager:  This Lager was my dad's favorite from Kona.  Light and refreshing, it went down nice and easy any time of the day, and I really do mean ANY time of the day!  
Lavaman Red Ale:  Available on tap all throughout Lahaina, I reached for this Red more than any other Kona beer.  Perfectly malty with just enough bitterness to stay true to style, it helped rehydrate me after a taxing day relaxing in the sun.


Pure Hawaiian: Maui Brewing Company
(mauibrewingco.com)
Started eight years ago by Garrett Marrero and his wife Melanie, Maui Brewing Company prides itself on being a true Hawaiian brewery.  Using local ingredients to get that island flavor, MBC has been making a name for itself across the country.  This 25 barrel production facility kegs and cans all their brews on site.    
Mana Wheat:  A pineapple infused wheat beer, this one took me by surprise.  As you all know by now, I am not a wheat beer girl.  This one, however, was beyond delish.  Subtle pineapple flavor showcased the wheat's flavor profile.  I made sure to finish all of the samples of this one.
Coconut Porter:  My dad's favorite, this porter was an easy drinking beer with a ton of flavor.  Using local coconuts and roasting them in house, MBC has been perfecting this flavor addition through the use of a hopback and cold conditioning.  Before I knew it, all of these samples were gone.  I wonder where my dad picked up that habit. 
Big Swell IPA:  A standard I get back home, this IPA is a bit on the lighter side for my taste, but still offers up plenty of hoppy goodness.
Bikini Blonde Lager:  Crisp and refreshing, this was another one of my dad's favorites, though I think that he might have just liked the logo with the blonde in a bikini.     
Root Beer:  With my mom along for the ride, and clearly not a beer drinker, we were able to get her some exclusive MBC Root Beer.  Not available on the mainland quite yet, it is made with Maui sugar cane and Maui vanilla bean.  Superb!
HI Expectations IPA:  The BEST IPA that I have had in awhile.  Available only in the brewpub, and my checked bag since I made sure to fill a HydroFlask prior to leaving, this IPA reminded me of the great IPAs from Oregon.  Deep amber in color with THE perfect amount of hops and malt, I continued to order chalices of this Hawaiian beauty.


Our paradise vacation not only yielded us an envious tan, but also several island beer treasures to share back home.  My advice: forgo those sweet umbrella drinks and get down and dirty with some local brews.  Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment