Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Beervalation: Pyramid Brewery

Pyramid Brewery started back in 1984 in the town of Kalama, WA.  Over the last 28 years, they have made history with their Pale Ale being deemed America's first microbrew, along with having the first wheat ale available all year long post Prohibition.  Growing up in Seattle, I remember always seeing empty Pyramid Hefeweizen's bottles in my garage recycle bin.  Throughout my beer years, I have come to disregard Pyramid as a go to brewery in Seattle.  A happenstance stop last week changed my mind.
Looking at the beer available on their taplist, I was intrigued with all the unfamilar ones.  I quickly filled up my tasting board with five newbies.
Sample #1:  Fresh Hop Amber Ale (MacTarnahan's)
I'm a sucker for anything with fresh hops.  Blame it on my great grandfather, the hop farmer.  This amber was mildly malty which helped showcase the citrusy hop taste straight off the vine.  Clean and refreshing for any hophead to enjoy.
Sample #2:  Hop Tep 2
An American IPA with a mild citrusy nose, I enjoyed every sip.  At 6.7%, this was a hearty IPA, but not overpowering with malt.  In a head to head battle with Pyramid's Thunderhead IPA, Hop Tep would dominate.
Sample #3:  Super Snow Cap
Snow Cap is by far my go to winter warmer.  When I saw that there was a Super Snow Cap, I knew that it would become an instant favorite.  Same great flavor, same great malt profile, just a ton more ABV.  I think this brew would be fantastic on nitro.
Sample #4:  Chai Wheat
I have found that all hoppy beer drinkers have one thing in common.  Well, honestly, more than one thing.  But what I am trying to get at is that we all tend to love super strong coffee.  That being said, I find myself enjoying a hot chai every now again.  With only a few chai beers under my belt, I cautiously ordered a sample of Pyramid's Chai Wheat.  Finally, a brewery got it right.  A wheat beer was the perfect vehicle to carry the chai spice throughout.  This one sample made me daydream of a hot crackling fire, a DVD, and a growler full of this brew.
Sample #5:  Eye of Ra
Beer played a prevalent role in Ancient Egypt, much like Pyramid Brewery has played a vital role in the growing popularity of the American microbrew.  Used as a symbol of protection, the Eye of Ra also ensured the safety of the bearer.  This rye beer was aptly named as it would be a safe bet for whatever your style preference.  A little spicy, a little hoppy, a little malty, and a lot of goodness.

Whoever said, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" obviously didn't know Pyramid Brewery.  An inspiring leader for the 140+ microbreweries in Washington alone, the brewers continue to reinvent their styles and stretch their creativity.  Stop in, grab a sampler board, and be amazed.


Pyramid Brewery
www.pyramidbrew.com

No comments:

Post a Comment